7 Oct 2010

The Winged Victory of Samothrace

























I came across this statue of the Greek goddess Nike at the top of the Daru staircase in the Louvre museum a few years ago and I was utterly enchanted. I do not know why.... maybe it is because I don't know what she looks like and can only imagine, maybe its the flowing drapery of her skirts that causes you to imagine a windy sea or the graceful poise, or the apparent ability to fly. I really don't know but I think it is beautiful. Simple enchanting.....

If you get a chance you must go and see for yourself.

Created- 190 BC
Discovered- 1863 AD
Found in- Samothrace (a Greek Island)
Material- Parian marble

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I remember seeing this statue and feeling something similar.

Photos never do statues justice

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...